Early Bird Smoothie
Outpost Natural Foods
Give avocados and peanut butter a whirl in your blender jar for a unique flavor combination that will kick start your morning and give you that extra boost of energy to get you through a busy day.
1 avocado, ripe
1/2 cucumber, peeled and seeded
2 limes, juiced
4 tablespoons smooth or crunchy peanut butter
1 1/4 cups apple juice
1 cup milk, any
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
1. Throw it all in the blender and blend until smooth.
2. Garnish with a dash of paprika and a cilantro leaf.
My slow cooker is out so I figured I should use this time at home to make some staples I can freeze and enjoy later. This classic for baked beans did not disappoint. It was so easy; I soaked the beans one night, put it all together early in the morning and let it cook all day. The result is a rich almost caramel like saucy bean.
The beans held their shape quite well and the sauce was nice and thick. It makes a big batch so I put some in the fridge and portioned the rest away in the freezer for a future more hectic day.
I didn't have savory so used some sage instead. I couldn't find my whole cloves so I used a pinch of ground; turned out all good.
Vegetarian Baked Beans
Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook, Beth Hensperger & Julie Kaufmann
1 pound dried white navy beans
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup molasses
1 1/4 teaspoons dried summer or winter savory, or 2.5 teaspoons chopped fresh
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
1 medium sized white onion, peeled, left whole, scored with an in the root end, and studded with 4 cloves
boiling water to cover
1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
1. Rinse the beans in a colander under cold running water; pick over for damaged beans and small stones. Transfer to the slow cooker. Cover with cold water by 2", soak overnight and drain.
2. Cover the beans with fresh water by 3". Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 1/2 hours, until still undercooked. Drain.
3. Return the beans to the cooker and add the ketchup, maple syrup, molasses, savory, baking soda, salt and pepper; stir to mix well. Press the whole onion down into he center of the beans. Add boiling water to cover by 1/2"; stir gently. Cover and cook on HIGH to bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to LOW and cook until the beans are soft, thick, and bubbling, 10-12 hours.
4. Remove the onion and stir in the butter until melted. Taste for seasoning and serve hot.
Vegan Peanut Sauced Chicken Pitas
Inspired by Cooking Light Magazine, August 2011
by Jackie Newgent
1 cup shredded chicken
1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
2 tablespoons thin red bell pepper strips
2 tablespoons peanut satay sauce
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon chili paste with garlic
1 6" whole pita, cut in half
1/2 cup fresh mung bean sprouts, rinsed, drained, patted dry
2 tablespoons diagonally cut carrot
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1. Combine the first 5 ingredients, tossing well to coat. Stir in the chili paste.
2. Fill each pita half with half of the chicken mixture, 1/4 cup bean sprouts, 1 tablespoon carrot and 1 tablespoon cilantro.
Caesar Salad Bagels
Cooking Light Magazine, August 2011
by Jackie Newgent
3 tablespoons Caesar salad dressing
2 - 4 ounce everything bagels, split and toasted
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 thin red onion slices
1 cup torn or shredded romaine lettuce
1/2 cup shaved parmigiano-reggiano cheese
1. Spread dressing evenly on cut sides of bagels. Sprinkle with pepper.
2. Arrange half of red onion, romaine lettuce, and cheese on bottom halves of bagels, and repeat layers. Top with the top halves of bagels.
is the smallest kitchen ever. We used to watch those decorating shows that said they were doing small kitchens and then could see that 4 of my kitchens would fit in their "small kitchens".
All Almonds Apple Asparagus Avocado Bagel Banana Bar Bark Basil Beans Beer Beets Black Beans Blueberries Braise Brandy Bread Breakfast Brewers Organics Broccoli Brown Sugar Bruschetta Brussel Sprouts Burger Cabbage Cake Candy Carrot Cashews Cauliflower Celery Salt Cheddar Cheese Cherry Cherry Tomatoes Chicken Chickpeas Chips Chocolate Clock Shadow Creamery Cocktail Cocoa Coconut Coconut Flour Coconut Sugar Coffee Cookies Corn Cranberries Cream Cucumber Cupcake Dates Dinner Dip Dried Fruit Drink Easy Edamame Eggs Empanadas Farro Fermentation Feta Food Fries Fudge Gluten Free Grapefruit Gravy Greek Yogurt Green Tomatoes Growing Power Hazelnut Herb Home Made Honey ISi Jar Kale Lavender Lemon Lentils Malt Martha Stewart Microwave Mint Mushrooms Nutritional Yeast Oatmeal Oats Omanhene Orange Organicville Paprika Parmesan Parsnip Pasta Peanut Peanut Butter Peas Pepper Pesto Pie Pineapple Pita Pizza Potato Pretzels Pudding Pumpkin Quiche Quinoa Raspberry Rice Risotto Roast Salad Salt Sandwich Siracha Slaw Slow Cooker Soup Sous Vide Spinach Squash Strawberries Strawberry Sugar River Dairy Sunflower Sushi Sweet Potato Tacos Tamari The Engine No 2 Diet The Food Lab The Spice House Tofu Tomato Trader Joe's Trail Mix Trends Truffles Vanilla Vegan Vegetarian Walnuts Wisconsin Winter Farmer Zombie Zucchini