"Food may not be the answer to world peace, but it's a start" - Anthony Bourdain
4/29/2020 0 Comments
Pumpkin Cheddar Slow Cooker Grits
2/3 cup coarse, stone ground corn grits
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup evaporated milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed cooked pumpkin or winter squash (blue hubbard or butternut) or canned pumpkin
a few grinds black pepper
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Combine the grits and some cold water in a bowl; the husks will rise to the top. Drain in a mesh strainer.
2. Combine the grits, 1 1/2 cup water, evaporated milk, and the salt in the slow cooker. With a wooden or plastic spoon, stir for 15 seconds. Add the pumpkin and pepper, cover, and cook on HIGH for 3-3 1/2 hours or LOW 7-9 hours, until thick and creamy.
3. Stir in the butter and cheese, cover, turn off the cooker, and let the mixture rest for 10 minutes to melt the butter and cheese. Serve immediately.
4/9/2016 0 Comments
On the top of my list of things I miss from my hometown, Outpost Coop is up there. I miss a quick trip in for any of the good foods that they create in their kitchen. I remembered I had a few of their magazines with some recipes bookmarked so I started paging through and was thrilled to find this one for the Florentine Burgers! It's my favorite of all the prepackaged deli burgers. I happen to have leftover creamed spinach and I used that and omitted the cheddar and it still had that familiar flavor I missed so much. This little veggie patty is a winner. Tamari and nutritional yeast are two of my favorite flavors as are fried up toasty walnuts and spinach is always good! I have had these as a sandwich, in a wrap or just all by themselves.
Outpost Coop, Milwaukee WI
1 package (10-12 oz) Frozen Spinach
1 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup panko bread crumbs
2 eggs, whisked
1/4 cup onions, minced
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons tamari
1 1/4 teaspoons garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons fresh basil, chopped
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Oil for sauteing
1. Thaw spinach and press any excess liquid out. Set aside.
2. Add walnuts and panko to a food processor until finely ground. Add spinach, process until roughly chopped.
3. Put walnut, panko and spinach mixture into a bowl and add remaining ingredients. Mix well to combine. Form into 6 burger patties.
4. Heat oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Saute burgers until golden brown.
1/3/2014 0 Comments
Came across this interesting recipe back in October 2007 Better Home & Gardens magazine and it's still a fall time favorite. Great way to use those Wisconsin apples & cheddar cheese.
Apple-Cheddar Soup Better Homes & Gardens
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon butter
2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cups apple cider
1/2 tsp dried thyme, crushed
dash cayenne pepper
1 medium cooking apple, peeled, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (1 cup)
fresh apple slices
1. In large saucepan cook onion in hot butter over medium heat until tender. Stir in potatoes, cider, thyme, salt, and cayenne pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Add chopped apple; simmer, covered, 5 minutes or until potatoes are tender. In small bowl combine milk and flour; stir into soup. Cook and stir until bubbly. Slowly add cheese, whisking until cheese is melted.
2. Divide soup among serving dishes; top with apple slices and peppercorns. Makes 4 to 6 side-dish servings.
is the smallest kitchen ever. We used to watch those decorating shows that said they were doing small kitchens and then could see that 4 of my kitchens would fit in their "small kitchens".
All Air Fryer Almonds Apple Asparagus Avocado Bagel Banana Bar Bark Bars Basil Beans Beer Beets Black Beans Blueberries Braise Brandy Bread Breakfast Brewers Organics Broccoli Brown Sugar Bruschetta Brussel Sprouts Burger Cabbage Cacao Cake Candy Carrot Cashews Cauliflower Celery Salt Cheddar Cheese Cherry Cherry Tomatoes Chicken Chickpeas Chips Chocolate Clock Shadow Creamery Cocktail Cocoa Coconut Coconut Flour Coconut Sugar Coffee Cookies Corn Cranberries Cream Cucumber Cupcake Dates Dinner Dip Dried Fruit Drink Easy Edamame Eggs Empanadas Farro Fermentation Feta Food Fries Fudge Gluten Free Grapefruit Gravy Greek Yogurt Green Tomatoes Growing Power Hazelnut Herb Home Made Honey ISi Jar Kale Lavender Lemon Lentils Malt Maple Martha Stewart Microwave Mint Mushrooms Nutritional Yeast Oatmeal Oats Omanhene Orange Organicville Paprika Parmesan Parsnip Pasta Peanut Peanut Butter Peas Pepper Pesto Pickles Pie Pineapple Pita Pizza Potato Pretzels Pudding Pumpkin Quiche Quinoa Raisins Raspberry Rice Risotto Roast Rose Salad Salt Sandwich Siracha Slaw Slow Cooker Smoothie Soup Sous Vide Spinach Squash Strawberries Strawberry Sugar River Dairy Sunflower Sushi Sweet Potato Tacos Tamari Tea The Engine No 2 Diet The Food Lab The Spice House Tofu Tomato Tortellini Trader Joe's Trail Mix Trends Truffles Vanilla Vegan Vegetarian Vodka Walnuts Wisconsin Winter Farmer Zombie Zucchini