Just Plain Nuts Burger
Wendy McMillian for naturalhealthmag.com
This gluten free patty at Crazy Burger Café & Juice Bar in Narragansett, RI is loaded with heart-healthy cashews and walnuts - both good sources of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fast as well as omega-3 fatty acids. Lentils add fiber, folate and iron.
1/2 cup dry mixed lentils - French, Green, Red, equal parts
1/4 red onion, finely diced
2 stalks celery, finely diced
1/2 carrot, grated
1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
1 zucchini, grated
1/4 pound cashews, roasted on a sheet pan for 3 minutes
1/4 pound walnuts, roasted on a sheet pan for 3 minutes
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons Gulden's mustard
2 tablespoons Fry Salt
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 handful fresh basil, washed and minced
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1. To prepare lentils, simmer in 1 1/2 cups water for 20-25 minutes, until tender.
2. Sauté onion, celery and carrots in 1/8 cup canola oil, until translucent, approximately 5 minutes. Add zucchini toward the end. Season vegetable mixture lightly with some of the salt and pepper and place in a large mixing bowl.
3. Drain the lentils. Season lightly with some of the salt and pepper, and add to the vegetables.
4. Coarsely grind the roasted cashews and walnuts in a food processor and add to the mixing bowl.
5. Mix in all remaining ingredients until everything is incorporated evenly.
6. Form mixture into burger patties and arrange on a lined sheet pan. Bake 10 minutes at 500 F. (Alternatively patties can be pan-fried in a small amount of canola oil.) Serve open face on polenta with a side of sun-dried tomato-artichoke pesto.
On the top of my list of things I miss from my hometown, Outpost Coop is up there. I miss a quick trip in for any of the good foods that they create in their kitchen. I remembered I had a few of their magazines with some recipes bookmarked so I started paging through and was thrilled to find this one for the Florentine Burgers! It's my favorite of all the prepackaged deli burgers. I happen to have leftover creamed spinach and I used that and omitted the cheddar and it still had that familiar flavor I missed so much. This little veggie patty is a winner. Tamari and nutritional yeast are two of my favorite flavors as are fried up toasty walnuts and spinach is always good! I have had these as a sandwich, in a wrap or just all by themselves.
Outpost Coop, Milwaukee WI
1 package (10-12 oz) Frozen Spinach
1 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
1 cup panko bread crumbs
2 eggs, whisked
1/4 cup onions, minced
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons tamari
1 1/4 teaspoons garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons fresh basil, chopped
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Oil for sauteing
1. Thaw spinach and press any excess liquid out. Set aside.
2. Add walnuts and panko to a food processor until finely ground. Add spinach, process until roughly chopped.
3. Put walnut, panko and spinach mixture into a bowl and add remaining ingredients. Mix well to combine. Form into 6 burger patties.
4. Heat oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Saute burgers until golden brown.
is the smallest kitchen ever. We used to watch those decorating shows that said they were doing small kitchens and then could see that 4 of my kitchens would fit in their "small kitchens".
All Almonds Apple Asparagus Avocado Bagel Banana Bar Bark Basil Beans Beer Beets Black Beans Blueberries Braise Brandy Bread Breakfast Brewers Organics Broccoli Brown Sugar Bruschetta Brussel Sprouts Burger Cabbage Cake Candy Carrot Cashews Cauliflower Celery Salt Cheddar Cheese Cherry Cherry Tomatoes Chicken Chickpeas Chips Chocolate Clock Shadow Creamery Cocktail Cocoa Coconut Coconut Flour Coconut Sugar Coffee Cookies Corn Cranberries Cream Cucumber Cupcake Dates Dinner Dip Dried Fruit Drink Easy Edamame Eggs Empanadas Farro Fermentation Feta Food Fries Fudge Gluten Free Grapefruit Gravy Greek Yogurt Green Tomatoes Growing Power Hazelnut Herb Home Made Honey ISi Jar Kale Lavender Lemon Lentils Malt Martha Stewart Microwave Mint Mushrooms Nutritional Yeast Oatmeal Oats Omanhene Orange Organicville Paprika Parmesan Parsnip Pasta Peanut Peanut Butter Peas Pepper Pesto Pie Pineapple Pita Pizza Potato Pretzels Pudding Pumpkin Quiche Quinoa Raspberry Rice Risotto Roast Salad Salt Sandwich Siracha Slaw Slow Cooker Soup Sous Vide Spinach Squash Strawberries Strawberry Sugar River Dairy Sunflower Sushi Sweet Potato Tacos Tamari The Engine No 2 Diet The Food Lab The Spice House Tofu Tomato Trader Joe's Trail Mix Trends Truffles Vanilla Vegan Vegetarian Walnuts Wisconsin Winter Farmer Zombie Zucchini