Vegetable Fried Rice
1000 Vegan Recipes by Robin Robertson
2 tablespoons canola or grapeseed oil
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
1 large carrot, finely chopped
1 medium zucchini, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
3 green onions, minced
1/4 teaspoon turmeric, optional
3 1/2 cups cooked long grain rice, cold
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons mirin or dry white wine
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1. In a large skillet, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, and zucchini and stir fry until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, and green onions and stir fry until softened, about 3 minutes.
2. Stir in the turmeric, if using. Add the rice, peas, soy sauce and mirin and stir fry until hot, about 5 minutes. Drizzle with sesame oil, toss to combine and taste, adjusting seasoning and adding more soy sauce if necessary.
3. Serve immediately.
Horchata is a drink I love and am lucky enough to live near many great Mexican restaurants that serve this. After a recent drink special at my favorite place I couldn't get enough and wanted to make some at home. I remembered my Mexican cooking class at Braise and the version we made there.
Braise Culinary School, Milwaukee WI
12 tablespoons long grain rice, pulverized
12 ounces almonds, blanched
2 inch cinnamon stick
2 limes, zested
2 cups sugar
4 1/2 cups water, hot
1. Mix hot water with everything except sugar. Let sit overnight at room temperature.
2. In blender, blend until smooth and no longer feels gritty. Add 2 cups water. Strain through 3 layers of cheesecloth.
3. Add 2 cups water and stir in sugar.
is the smallest kitchen ever. We used to watch those decorating shows that said they were doing small kitchens and then could see that 4 of my kitchens would fit in their "small kitchens".
All Almonds Apple Asparagus Avocado Bagel Banana Bar Bark Basil Beans Beer Beets Black Beans Blueberries Braise Brandy Bread Breakfast Brewers Organics Broccoli Brown Sugar Bruschetta Brussel Sprouts Burger Cabbage Cake Candy Carrot Cashews Cauliflower Celery Salt Cheddar Cheese Cherry Cherry Tomatoes Chicken Chickpeas Chips Chocolate Clock Shadow Creamery Cocktail Cocoa Coconut Coconut Flour Coconut Sugar Coffee Cookies Corn Cranberries Cream Cucumber Cupcake Dates Dinner Dip Dried Fruit Drink Easy Edamame Eggs Empanadas Farro Fermentation Feta Food Fries Fudge Gluten Free Grapefruit Gravy Greek Yogurt Green Tomatoes Growing Power Hazelnut Herb Home Made Honey ISi Jar Kale Lavender Lemon Lentils Malt Martha Stewart Microwave Mint Mushrooms Nutritional Yeast Oatmeal Oats Omanhene Orange Organicville Paprika Parmesan Parsnip Pasta Peanut Peanut Butter Peas Pepper Pesto Pie Pineapple Pita Pizza Potato Pretzels Pudding Pumpkin Quiche Quinoa Raspberry Rice Risotto Roast Salad Salt Sandwich Siracha Slaw Slow Cooker Soup Sous Vide Spinach Squash Strawberries Strawberry Sugar River Dairy Sunflower Sushi Sweet Potato Tacos Tamari The Engine No 2 Diet The Food Lab The Spice House Tofu Tomato Trader Joe's Trail Mix Trends Truffles Vanilla Vegan Vegetarian Walnuts Wisconsin Winter Farmer Zombie Zucchini