Vegetable Fried Rice
1000 Vegan Recipes by Robin Robertson
2 tablespoons canola or grapeseed oil
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
1 large carrot, finely chopped
1 medium zucchini, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
3 green onions, minced
1/4 teaspoon turmeric, optional
3 1/2 cups cooked long grain rice, cold
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons mirin or dry white wine
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1. In a large skillet, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, and zucchini and stir fry until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, and green onions and stir fry until softened, about 3 minutes.
2. Stir in the turmeric, if using. Add the rice, peas, soy sauce and mirin and stir fry until hot, about 5 minutes. Drizzle with sesame oil, toss to combine and taste, adjusting seasoning and adding more soy sauce if necessary.
3. Serve immediately.
Another winner from one of my favorite co-ops, Outpost in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Peas are one of my favorite and carrots make a great companion. This makes great easy side dish.
Herbed Peas & Carrots
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
2 medium shallots, peeled and finely chopped
1/4 cup cold water
16 ounces frozen peas, thawed
1 tablespoon fresh italian parsley, minced
1. Heat butter and oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Once butter foams, add carrots and shallots and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots are translucent and soft, about 10 minutes.
2. Add water and continue to cook until liquid evaporates and carrots are tender about 5-6 minutes.
3. Add peas and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in parsley, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve immediately.
Brooklyn Deli Macaroni Salad
By Isa Chandra Moskowitz, Veganomicon page 91
1/4 cup veganaise
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
2 radishes, grated
2 carrots, peeled and grated
1 pound elbow macaroni
1. Prepare the dressing: Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix with a fork until completely blended.
2. Add the radishes, carrots and peas and set aside while you cook the macaroni.
This Martha recipe is a fun use of that zucchini I love so much! The ribbons are great along with the spaghetti noodles and one of my other favorite veggies, peas make a great addition.
Spaghetti with Peas & Zucchini Ribbons
freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 cups shelled fresh English Peas (1 1/2 lbs unshelled) or thawed frozen petite peas
8 ounces baby zucchini, trimmed and cut lengthwise into 1/8" thick slices
1 1/2 cups loosely packed basil leaves, very thinly sliced
1 pound spaghetti
freshly grated parmesan cheese
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add 1 teaspoon salt. Add peas, and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes for fresh peas and 1 minute for frozen. Using a slotted spoon, transfer peas to a medium bowl; set aside. Add zucchini to pot, and cook 30 seconds; using a slotted spoon, transfer to bowl with peas.
2. Put yogurt and basil into a large, heatproof bowl; season with salt and pepper. Set bowl over the boiling water, and whisk until mixture is warm, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add peas and zucchini to bowl; set aside.
3. Cook pasta in salted boiling water until al dente; drain. Add pasta to vegetables and sauce, and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with cheese.
is the smallest kitchen ever. We used to watch those decorating shows that said they were doing small kitchens and then could see that 4 of my kitchens would fit in their "small kitchens".
All Air Fryer Almonds Apple Asparagus Avocado Bagel Banana Bar Bark Bars Basil Beans Beer Beets Black Beans Blueberries Braise Brandy Bread Breakfast Brewers Organics Broccoli Brown Sugar Bruschetta Brussel Sprouts Burger Cabbage Cacao Cake Candy Carrot Cashews Cauliflower Celery Salt Cheddar Cheese Cherry Cherry Tomatoes Chicken Chickpeas Chips Chocolate Clock Shadow Creamery Cocktail Cocoa Coconut Coconut Flour Coconut Sugar Coffee Cookies Corn Cranberries Cream Cucumber Cupcake Dates Dinner Dip Dried Fruit Drink Easy Edamame Eggs Empanadas Farro Fermentation Feta Food Fries Fudge Gluten Free Grapefruit Gravy Greek Yogurt Green Tomatoes Growing Power Hazelnut Herb Home Made Honey ISi Jar Kale Lavender Lemon Lentils Malt Maple Martha Stewart Microwave Mint Mushrooms Nutritional Yeast Oatmeal Oats Omanhene Orange Organicville Paprika Parmesan Parsnip Pasta Peanut Peanut Butter Peas Pepper Pesto Pickles Pie Pineapple Pita Pizza Potato Pretzels Pudding Pumpkin Quiche Quinoa Raisins Raspberry Rice Risotto Roast Rose Salad Salt Sandwich Siracha Slaw Slow Cooker Smoothie Soup Sous Vide Spinach Squash Strawberries Strawberry Sugar River Dairy Sunflower Sushi Sweet Potato Tacos Tamari Tea The Engine No 2 Diet The Food Lab The Spice House Tofu Tomato Tortellini Trader Joe's Trail Mix Trends Truffles Vanilla Vegan Vegetarian Vodka Walnuts Wisconsin Winter Farmer Zombie Zucchini