I love lavender!... I grow it, I buy natural products that contain it and have taken classes about the flower. I was thrilled to see my local co-op, Outpost, had a recipe in their magazine, Graze using it. I gave it a shot for a party and it got rave reviews. It's very tender, cake like. I served it with a peach butter to kick it up a notch.
Lady Cotswald's Lavender Tea Bread
from Outpost Co-op's Graze Magazine, Milwaukee, WI
Makes 1 large loaf
3/4 Cup Milk
2 Tablespoons dried lavender flowers, finely chopped (or 3 Tablespoons fresh flowers, chopped)
2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
6 Tablespoons Butter, softened
1 Cup Sugar
2 Large Eggs
1. Grease 9x5x3 inch loaf pan and preheat oven to 325 F.
2. In a saucepan, heat milk with lavender almost to a boil, then steep until cool.
3. Mix flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.
4. In another bowl, cream butter and gradually add sugar, then eggs, one at a time, beating until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture alternately with lavender milk, in three parts. Mix until batter is just blended, do not overbeat.
5. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Let cool in pan 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack.
7. When completely cool, sprinkle with confectioner's sugar. Slice into thin slices for serving.
is the smallest kitchen ever. We used to watch those decorating shows that said they were doing small kitchens and then could see that 4 of my kitchens would fit in their "small kitchens".
All Almonds Apple Asparagus Avocado Bagel Banana Bar Bark Basil Beans Beer Beets Black Beans Blueberries Braise Brandy Bread Breakfast Brewers Organics Broccoli Brown Sugar Bruschetta Brussel Sprouts Burger Cabbage Cake Candy Carrot Cashews Cauliflower Celery Salt Cheddar Cheese Cherry Cherry Tomatoes Chicken Chickpeas Chips Chocolate Clock Shadow Creamery Cocktail Cocoa Coconut Coconut Flour Coconut Sugar Coffee Cookies Corn Cranberries Cream Cucumber Cupcake Dates Dinner Dip Dried Fruit Drink Easy Edamame Eggs Empanadas Farro Fermentation Feta Food Fries Fudge Gluten Free Grapefruit Gravy Greek Yogurt Green Tomatoes Growing Power Hazelnut Herb Home Made Honey ISi Jar Kale Lavender Lemon Lentils Malt Martha Stewart Microwave Mint Mushrooms Nutritional Yeast Oatmeal Oats Omanhene Orange Organicville Paprika Parmesan Parsnip Pasta Peanut Peanut Butter Peas Pepper Pesto Pie Pineapple Pita Pizza Potato Pretzels Pudding Pumpkin Quiche Quinoa Raspberry Rice Risotto Roast Salad Salt Sandwich Siracha Slaw Slow Cooker Soup Sous Vide Spinach Squash Strawberries Strawberry Sugar River Dairy Sunflower Sushi Sweet Potato Tacos Tamari The Engine No 2 Diet The Food Lab The Spice House Tofu Tomato Trader Joe's Trail Mix Trends Truffles Vanilla Vegan Vegetarian Walnuts Wisconsin Winter Farmer Zombie Zucchini